Winter is on its way and with it often comes a plethora of ailments like colds and flus.
Now is the perfect time to start boosting your immune system to prepare for winter. The body’s immune system is affected by many variables such as diet, sleep and health conditions. The one variable we can always control is diet.
There are certain foods that, when accompanied with a healthy balanced diet, can keep your immune system functioning strongly and decrease your risk of catching the common bug. Here are five great immune-boosting foods to incorporate into your diet this season.
1. Coconut Oil Rich in lauric acid, coconut oil helps to attack viruses, bacteria, and pathogens. It’s also incredibly versatile and can be used in smoothies, as a spread, in salad dressings, or just eaten from a spoon.
2. Mushrooms Mushrooms are known to help support the immune system, but the ones with the greatest impact are medicinal mushrooms such as maitake, reishi, coriolus, agaracus, and shiitake. These mushrooms contain powerful compounds called beta-glucans, which are proven to help activate the immune system.
3. Berries Blueberries, raspberries, goji berries, and acai berries all contain high ORAC values (antioxidant capacity) and thus offer protection against free radicals and sickness in the body. Berries also contain essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber—all contributing to overall wellness.
4. Organic Fruits and Vegetables Fruit and vegetables in general are packed full of enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help keep your immune system optimized.
5. Matcha Green Tea Matcha contains a strong concentration of polyphenols in the form of natural chemicals called catechins. Catechins have been found to improve the body’s immune response to pathogens.
You can enjoy this healthy green beverage all season long. Stay ahead of flu season with these immune-boosting foods and feel your best this winter.